18 May 2013

Great Opening Lines!

"Call me Ishmael" - Herman Melville - Moby Dick, undeniably one of the most well known first lines in literature. And how about, "It was the day my grandmother exploded" - Iain M. Banks - The Crow Road. Interesting, to say the least. Then there's the ever-famous, "Once Upon A Time." - We all know how that ends, or not.

Those are great first lines from the past, now how about some great first lines from Authors of the present?

With the Author's consent, I've compiled a list of opening lines in today's literature. I hope you'll have fun reading through these openings. Who knows, it may even spark a novel in you.

Posted in alphabetical order. (To the best of my ability.)


 "An explosion shook the ground . . . maybe the world."
The Serendipitous Curse: Reborn by Aiden James & Lisa Collicutt

"Are you there Smokey Bear?"
Dear Cassie by Lisa Burstein


"As she glanced around the room, Tarah Kiersey couldn't tell whether her body was shaking from fear or anticipation."
Fire by Mima
 

"As the sun sank lazily towards the horizon, I knew I was in trouble."

"Beyond the village rooftops, they stared back at me."

"Darkness descended over the freeway."

"Darkness had fallen, but the stars refused to shine."
Silent Orchids by Morgan Wylie


"Dusk fringed the Atlanta skyline in hues of deep blue and gray."
The Serendipitous Curse: Reviled by Lisa Collicutt & Aiden James


"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for they are with me."
Don't Fear the Reaper by Michelle Muto

"Everything of importance in my new world has disappeared."
Wilde's Army (Darkness Falls Series: Book Two) by Krystal Wade


"Gentle fingertips grazed the edge of her jaw, trailing down her neck to her collarbone."
Colour Weilders by Dawna Raver 

"Happy birthday to me,” fifteen-year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Lambert murmured as her eyes fell on the picture of a black triple spiral on the wall."
Into the Spiral (The Spiral Defenders Series: Book One) by Erin Danzer 

"I am a jolly fellow."
   
"I can’t remember how many missions I’ve been on now."
 

"I don't believe in love or happy endings but I do believe in lust."
 

"I felt my stomach lurch as the room spun and the night caught up to me."

"I had no idea what was chasing me, but I did not like the look of its tentacles."
 
   
"I looked into the sun visor mirror of the driver’s side of my car."
Shadow Shifter by Olivia K. Wilder


"I'm standing in the middle of a meadow, surrounded by tall wheat grasses."
Wilde's Fire (Darkness Falls Series: Book One) by Krystal Wade


"Inhaling in life is easy."
Exhale by Jennifer Snyder


“I plastered myself flat against the wall, straining to distinguish footsteps from heart palpitations.”

"I repositioned myself so I could see down the edge of the building and into the dark alley below." 
Bad Blood by Nicky Peacock

"I shoved the scattered books and papers from the table into my backpack as everyone stampeded for the exits. 
Better Nature by Elizabeth Sharp
 
 

 "I slid my feet into the hard leather boots, hating the feel of the rough material and what it stood for—I was a slave, or at least I felt like one."
Broken Forest by Eliza Tilton


"I sprinted through the dusty narrow streets. my two younger sisters hot on my trail."

"I tap my pen against my notebook impatiently, unable to stop staring, all but boring holes into the back of his head as we wait for class to start.
Buried by Gerilyn Marin


"I think I was nine the first time I saw a Wild Child."
Wild Children by Richard Roberts

"It's the middle of July and I'm looking out my patio door into my big beautiful backyard."
Words to Love By (A true story) by Karen L. Boncela


"It was one of those days that a tourist would find hot and hazy."
 Return of Night of the Scream Queen by Michael MacCarty, Linnea Quigley & Stan Swanson


"I woke up to the same cold, empty loneliness that I had been waking up to for years."
Never Let You Fall by Michele G Miller


"Jimmy Groome hoisted the heavy backpack over his shoulder yet again."
A Spark Before the Fire by Mima
 

"Karis, the council has reached an agreement."
Ageless Sea by M.R. Polish

 

"Late in the night, Megan Howell sat in her bed looking at the flowing patterns of light on her wall."

"Lead woke with the sun peeling his eyelids back like the tips of God's fingers." 
The Zona by Nathan L. Yocum 

"Like a bad detective novel, it started with a woman."
Bonus: The opening line to The Devil Dances (Nick Englebrecht #2):
"Like a good horror novel, it started with a victim."

"Mary, close the door."
Quite Contrary by  Richard Roberts

"Mr. Brown closed the door on the whimpers and walked up the stairs to take a shower."
Blow up the Roses by Randy Attwood


"My name is Fang, and I'm a nightmare."
Sweet Dreams are mad of Teeth by Richard Roberts


"No light penetrated in the depths of the dank, musty dungeon to shine upon the skulls, bones, pieces of stone and broken jars that called it home."
The Lady of Steinbrekka by Kristi Strong


"One glance at the calendar was all I needed."
Ever by Jessa Russo


"Somehow, Matheus expected the night he died to be fraught with weather straight out of the Old Testament: thunderstorms and hurricane winds and floods with arks."
Real Vampires Don't Sparkle by Amy Fecteau
 

 "The hot sun baked my back and sweat beaded on my forehead."
Second Nature by Elizabeth Sharp
 
  
"There was something cathartic about wielding a crowbar."
Nefertiti's Heart by A.W. Exley
 

"The ride to the hospital seemed to take forever."

"The wind howled around me, flinging cold rain this way and that."
Fade by A.K. Morgen
 

"Thomas Jones parked in the last spot within spitting distance of the Ruby Tuesday's, leaned back in the driver's seat of his rental truck, and closed his eyes."
Love Me by Diane Alberts


"We are orphans."
Ratgirl Song of the Viper by Gayle C. Krause


"When Warren arrived outside his mother's apartment, he saw Luke Skywalker's face plastered against the window."
The Charge by Sharon Bayliss
 

"Willing his feet to remain silent, Jason Hunt concentrated on the ground as he weaved between the outstretched claws of the tree branches."

"You let the greasy pig off too easily," Flanna mumbles, holding a sharp, wooden needle between her lips."


 Thanks for reading our first lines.
We'd love to hear your comments :)  

17 comments:

  1. WOW, these are some great opening lines! Thanks for doing this... and adding to my TBR list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure and an honor that I could in any way add to someone's TBR list, with any of the above :)

      Delete
  2. What a BEAUTIFUL Blog Lisa! Nice JOB! THX for including my book in your list of "OPENING LINES! CONTINUED SUCCESS to You!
    YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, and it's about time you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Awesome job on this! All the covers and one-liners are truly inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love this post! What a great idea. Makes me want to steal it from you in some fashion. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can click "blog this" button and it will show up on your blog . . . I think. If you use Blogger.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite opening lines is "I'm going to have to shorten his willy." It's from Mia Marlowe's HOW TO DISTRACT A DUCHESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Now I want to read THAT book!

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed it. I've read a few of her books and liked all of them.

      Delete
    3. I really liked that book. I've read a few of her books and enjoyed all of them. As you can see from the opening line there's humor as well as romance.

      Delete
  6. Awesome post, Lisa! Thanks for all your hard work on this; it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Thanks for including me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic, Lisa! Thank you for including Strength. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just realized that when you click on each picture of a book in this list that it takes you right to that author's blog!
    You da BOMB Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Sparkles and Lightning